OPEN SOURCE SOLUTIONS FOR GOVERNMENT FROM CARAHSOFT TM
Available on GSA Schedule GS-35F-0119Y
Who is IKANOW?
IKANOW was created in 2011 from observations and lessons learned made by it's founders working hand in hand with Department of Defense and Intelligence Community over the past decades. These observations were related to experience in information unifications challenges where new ways of thought were required to solve the problems we were facing. We believe that Analysis solutions require a new way of thinking that is a mixture of process and tools, specifically open source tools will become the primary way businesses solve their structured and unstructured document analysis challenges.
IKANOW is here to help solve the underlying issues of synthesizing structured and unstructured data for analytical consumption. Our goal is to enable mission agility by reducing the time required for analytical business value. In addition we provide our customers an ability to openly consume, expand and implement solutions the technology in a non-proprietary model.
The motivation in forming IKANOW was to create an independent entity that could focus development efforts on open analytics data processing platform. At IKANOW, we are focused on removing current technology and knowledge gaps to help open source approaches to gain mass appeal and adoption among enterprises and technology vendors alike.
What is Infinit.e?
Infinit.e is a scalable open source framework for collecting, storing, processing, retrieving, analyzing, and visualizing unstructured documents and structured records. In other words, Infinit.e empowers advanced analytics to visually sort, organize and understand vast amounts of unstructured and structured data very quickly through a massively scalable, cloud-based analytic platform architected for plug-and-play with additional data sources, extraction engines and visualization widgets so our customers and partners have the flexibility to adapt the platform to any specific mission or domain.
While supporting information analysts for the military and Government, we observed that the landscape of professional analysis tools is dominated by expensive proprietary products with limited flexibility, vendor lock-in, and requiring extensive and continuing customization which ends up extremely expensive and inefficient.
Further, these tools had often originally been designed to analyze and mine structured records, whereas increasingly data is generated in a mix of unstructured documents and traditional structured records. Usually, unstructured documents dominate structured records in terms of readily available intelligence to be gleaned.
We also observed that the Open Source community was developing tools that provided many of the core functions needed for an unstructured document-centric analysis tool (storage, search, aggregation, analytic frameworks). This provided some exciting new opportunities:
Further, the increasing richness and availability of low cost SaaS and PaaS cloud services meant that great functionality, like NLP, and great computing performance scalability using platforms like EC2, were affordably available for smaller organizations. Our objectives are:
- To lower the cost of developing an analytic platform, eliminating traditional cost barriers to its use, and freeing effort to focus on domain and analyst specific functionality and process
- To helps the platform remain up-to-date, since the OSS tools are in continuous development and the ecosphere in general is very active.
- Finally, to foster an active open community of developers and users, in the image of the OSS projects on which the platform is built.
- To provide, maintain, and enhance an "Internet-scale" document analysis platform based on the currently best available mature Open Source projects.
- To continue to develop the functionality based on analyzing and abstracting real users' requirements.
- To make the platform's source available to everyone under standard Open Source licenses.
- To provide a simple but powerful front end to enable and demonstrate the platform's most important capabilities.
- To help organizations customize the tool to align to their existing processes/tradecraft, as well as to take advantage of new opportunities afforded by the tool's functionality.
- To build more focused, smaller scale, applications using modified versions of the platform (eg for performance/scale vs functionality).
IKANOW is committed and passionate about open source. We believe that businesses and individuals today have much to gain, learn and share by utilizing and contributing to the wonderful reference architectures and products that are being produced in the open source community. We believe it our role to help to give back to and share knowledge. Our development mantra is always releasing early and often.
Our commitment will always be that our core platform and code will remain open source even if in the future we build certain applications or tools only for paying customers.